Please Ignore Vera Dietz
The section I've chosen is the part where Vera and her dad are with the counselor role playing what it would be like in the other person's shoes. This is when they realize that they both haven't completely gotten over Vera's mom. The reason I chose this section of the book is because it shows the theme of the book really well.
Excerpt:
DAD: Really, Dad, you totally SUCK for giving a -- about me.
I laugh
DR. B: Perfect. Try some more.
DAD: Like, now I have to sit around doing nothing all the time, and my twenty-three-year-old boyfriend can't see me or bring me alcohol.
DR. B: Vera? Do you want to play?
ME: (Sits up straight, clears all emotion from face.) You will thank me, Vera, in a few years when you realize how stupid you're being.
DAD: I never called you stupid!
DR. B: Mr. Dietz. ( Holds hand out.)
ME: Like I was saying, one day you will see how stupid and silly this is. It's simple
DAD: What's simple about my having to work a full-time job while I'm a senior?
ME: You'll thank me for that job when you're older. (Eyebrows in serious knot, doing best Ken impersonation)
DAD: ( In annoyingly girly voice.) The only reason I even like my job is because of James! I love him!
ME: (Rolls eyes.) You don't know anything about love yet, Vera. If you did, you'd see
that I grounded you this month out of real. I'm concerned that you're throwing your life away.
DAD: It's all your fault, Dad. I would never be doing this if you really gave a --.
ME: You have to learn how to give a --shit about yourself, Vera. You're eighteen. You're soon going to go out on your own. I'm only teaching you responsibility.
DAD: I already know responsibility, Dad! Remember? The kid who keeps straight A's and a full-time job? The one who has always helped around the house? The one who helped you get over Mom?
ME:(Noticing twitch in Dad's eyes when he says"Mom.")
You never helped me get over Mom, Vera. I'm still not over Mom.
The room goes silent and Dr. B can see that Dad and I are realizing something. We are realizing, simultaneously, that we have never dealt with Mom leaving. We pretend- like role-playing - but we never really did anything about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment