Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Tone and Mood: The Daughters Join the Party
The tone in The Daughters Join the Party is determination because the main character, Emma Conway is determined to help her friend in need. The mood of this book is caring because Emma really cares about her friends and she will do anything to help them when they are in need of her help. When Todd Piedmont's dad is brought on trial and his story is posted in the newspaper Emma is determined to help him. She helps him by buying every single copy of the newspaper at the newspaper stand right in front of their school so no one sees the story on Todd's dad. She shows determination here, "I'd like all the New York Posts, please." The newsstand man looked up from the lotto ticket he was scratching. "All of them?" "Emma what are you doing?" Lizzie asked. Emma reached around into her backpack and pulled out her wallet. "Sir? Did you hear me? I'd like every New York Post you still have. How much do you think that will be?" The man still looked confused. "They're not all for sale." "Will this do the trick?" Emma asked, laying down a couple of twenties. The man shrugged and took the money. " Go for it" ( Philbin 94). Emma is really determined to help Todd so she convinces the newsstand man to sell her all the copies of the New York Post in order to get rid of them all so the other students at their school won't see the paper. The way she uses a determined and convincing voice got the newsstand man to change his mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it's a pretty cool thing if you are determined to help someone enough to buy all those newspapers, that shows true friendship right there.
ReplyDeleteI agree I love Emma's character because she is brave, daring, caring, and determined. In some ways I can relate to Emma and she is really well developed character. I like how the author brought Emma to life by giving her strengths and weaknesses that we can all relate to.
ReplyDeleteHow many books have you read this week?
ReplyDeleteRight now I am reading two books. The Daughters Join the Party and Flipped.
ReplyDelete